Real estate investor forums

Financing and Credit Forum

All the creative (and not so creative) ways to find the money to do any deal.

LQuick
Rank 1
View all Posts

Topic: Holder in due course
Started: 9/08/09 Current Grade: A
I am trying to find some information on states that have "holder in due course". Can anyone help me find this information? Thanks.
Search Search this Topic Subscription Subscribe to this Topic Drop to First Unread Drop to First Unread
Bookmark Topic Bookmark Topic Show Printable Version Show Printable Version Email this Page Email this Page

Financexaminer
Rank 5Ambassador
View all Posts

# 1
Posted: 09-09-2009   Current Grade: A
Hi, sorry, are you asking about states that "allow" assignments????? If so, they all do. Good Luck with it. Bill
Reply With Quote Reply
ecosentry
Rank 4
View all Posts

# 2
Default Holder in due course
Posted: 09-10-2009   Current Grade: A
Most references are for notes or financial promises to pay (commercial paper) being held by 3rd parties

A holder in due course (HDC) is a person who takes a negotiable instrument, such as a promissory note, for value without knowledge of any apparent defect in the instrument nor any notice of dishonor. (Black's Law Dictionary 2nd Pocket ed. 2001 pg. 322). Status as a "holder in due course" is an affirmative defense against all legal claims the debtor may have against the original creditor. In other words, a "holder in due course" does not become responsible for the original creditor's alleged misdeeds in the original credit transaction.

A person typically becomes a "holder in due course" through the following steps: (1) an original creditor loans money to a person in return for a promise to repay that money with interest; (2) The original creditor then sells the credit contract (the right to receive repayment of the loan) to a "new creditor" (such as a bank); and (3) the new creditor takes the debt without any knowledge of (a) a defect in the note, (b) any misrepresentations made by the original creditor to the debtor, or (c) any other act that would give the debtor a legal claim against the original creditor.
Reply With Quote Reply
Nick_Brian
Rank 1
View all Posts

# 3
Posted: 09-11-2009   Current Grade: ?
That's a lot for holder in due course. i wish learned this a lot ago. I was always confused, now it's gone.
Reply With Quote Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search

Back To Forums Home

Forum Leaders

JohnCorey
JohnCorey
12563 Points
Financexaminer
Financexaminer
10740 Points